Several 5×2 organisations have been in touch to share their stories about what they and their communities are going through at this time:
We talked with folks from Médecins Sans Frontières Australia (MSF) (day 1) and YoungCare (day 3) on the phone yesterday. Both organisations are very very scared for their communities. MSF is in Italy and Greece right now assisting with COVID-19 care, and particularly advocating for the evacuation of refugee camps on the Greek Islands. They are having a lot of trouble moving their staff between countries to where they are needed. YoungCare is naturally deeply concerned for disabled Australians with high needs in coming weeks.
Everyone here is worried about the impact on our vulnerable clients, many who have multiple health problems and are living in overcrowded inadequate housing or are homeless. Today we are arranging transport back home to Communities for some of our elderly and disabled clients and board members. There is a lot of fear so we are also doing as much as we can to source and create information in local languages, as well as personally keep key senior people up to date.
… such an unsure and concerning time for our community… As FoodCare receives no recurrent Government funding, this will certainly assist us to continue providing what we believe is a very needed service to those experiencing financial hardship.
- 5×2: support your community, it’s hurting and scared and it needs your help
- 5×2: Médecins Sans Frontières and The Haymarket Foundation
- 5×2: FoodCare Orange and GiveDirectly
- 5×2: Waltja Tjutangku Palyapayi and YoungCare
- 5×2: UNICEF and Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council
- 5×2: news from the organisations
- 5×2: Asylum Seeker Resource Centre and ACON