One week to go and the conference is definitely going ahead.
Here’s my early plans for spending my time at LCA. I should note that my husband and our one year old son will be in Brisbane, and for various reasons I won’t be doing a lot of socialising at night. Anyone for lunch?
I’ll mostly be at the Haecksen miniconf, but also potentially interested in:
- various talks in the “Freedom in the cloud” miniconf
- An Approach to Automatic Text Generation, Brianna Laugher
- Practical Go Programming, Andrew Gerrand
(PS, Brianna, how many talks is it physically possible for you to give on a single day?)
I will not be at the Girl Geek Dinner, sadly, but this is only one night after Andrew will have flown in from Dallas and so I’d like to see my family early in the week.
At present I think this will mostly be hallway track.
- 10:30 (maybe): Freeing the Cloud, one service at a time, Francois Marier
- 11:30: Making file systems scale: A case study using ext4, Theodore Ts’o
- 13:30: BLOODY HELL. One of Making laptops work with Linux, Matthew Garrett; HTML5 web applications with node.js, Jeff Waugh; or Pixels From A Distance by Adam Jackson.
- 15:45 (maybe): The latest and coolest with HTML5 video, Silvia Pfeiffer
I will also attend the Linux Australia AGM, since I am standing for election (and I think results are available by then, it seems that voting closes at 26/01/2011 00:00, which is maybe an unfortunate choice of time, since many people will read “votes close 26/01/2011” as giving them that day to vote too).
I won’t be at the Professional Delegates Networking Session, since I am registered as a Hobbyist. I might be at the informal UnProfessional Delegates Session if there is one, and if my husband and son can come.
- 10:30: (probably) Advanced C Coding For Fun!, Rusty Russell; or (less likely) Kernel development: how it goes wrong and why you should be a part of it anyway, Jonathan Corbet
- 11:30 (maybe): Dropping ACID: eating data in a Web 2.0 Cloud world, Stewart Smith
- 13:30: Notmuch: What email should be, Carl Worth or Baby Steps into Open Source – Incubation and Mentoring at Apache, Noirin Shirley. My suspicion is that I’ll go to Worth’s talk and catch Shirley on the hallway track.
I will be at the Penguin dinner.
- 10:30: Machine Learning Inside, Christfried Webers.
- 13:30: Beyond Alt Text: Accessibility for the 21st Century, Denise Paolucci
- 15:45: Building a Linux powered coffee roaster, Andrew Tridgell
We fly home lunchtime Saturday, so won’t be around for Open Day.
One Reply to “LCA2011: preliminary picks”
3 is mooooooore than enough. 🙂
Comments are closed.